Re: Mailing list combined with PHP based forum

The closest I know of to that would be to use Drupal[1] with the Organic
Groups[2] module and the og2list[3] module.  You also need an MTA, of course.

Disclaimer: I've not actually set up such a system.  I've just seen it
discussed as a reasonable facsimile.  See the Drupal Groups[4] site for
Organic Groups in action.

[1] http://drupal.org/
[2] http://drupal.org/project/og
[3] http://drupal.org/project/og2list