Re: Security with dbHost, dbUser, dbPassword

Otto Wyss wrote:
> Jochem Maas wrote:

>>> ?>
>>
>> I never include the closing php tag in include files to avoid
>> stray empty lines being output - which can cause any headers
>> that you try to send after the offending include file is included
>> to fail.
>>
> I'm used to code everything as correct as possible. ;-)

it's a feature by design. and I'm merely parroting advice Rasmus himself has offered
on this list - if it's good enough for him it's good enough for me :-)

>>> Is this save enough or are there better ways? Where should I store this
>>> file so it isn't accessible via the net but inside scripts?
>>
>> outside the webroot. what people often do is create an include dir
>> at the same level as the webroot dir and add this directory to the
>> include_path
>> ini setting.
>>
>> e.g.
>>
> Thanks for the sample. IMO it would be a good idea if the PHP
> documentation had a "common or best practice" section, which contains
> such samples. I know there are samples in other places yet these samples
> tend to be outdated. I looked through some simple authentication samples
> at Zend but all were from year 2001, 2002. I'd prefer just one sample
> but up to date.

phpsec.org is a good place to check out.
and the manual user notes are a good place to dump tips you might want to
share - you'd be surprised a the the ammount of helpful stuff in there.