Re: IMPORTANT: PHP does NOT cause browser issues.

it can never hurt to repeat this kind of thing!

Raphael Martins wrote:
> Hi everybody.
>
> Due some recent messages in this list and other CSS/XHTML list, I´ve
> decided
> to post this to clarify a very common question: PHP is compatible with ALL
> browsers. Why? Because PHP runs at the server, aside from the browser. The
> only thing the browser will see is the response (in plain text or html
> code). The response code may be incompatible, but not the PHP code. So,
> again: PHP is compatible with ALL browsers because PHP does not run at the
> browser.
>
> The other issue is: "I would like to run some PHP code when the user
> click a
> link or press a button". Sorry pal... unless you use AJAX or iFrames, it
> will not gonna happen. Consider post this types of questions in Javascript
> or AJAX lists.
> As said before, PHP runs at the server and this kind of problem require
> client-side scripting.
>
> Questions about rendering bugs in HTML should be posted at CSS or HTML
> Lists.
>
> Sorry if I sounded too cranky. But it´s for a good reason.

most us who are faced with such repeated questions occassionally lose it,
the frustration caused is a real reason for people to become cranky in the face
of the never ending barrage of questions (of the ilk you pointed out)

... but it's not a *good* reason - it's never a good thing to let oneself get
stressed out by the thing that one is confronted with - that said I certainly
understand your sentiment ;-)

> Good PHPíng.
>
> P.S.: My suggestion is to send a message explaining that to every member
> that joins the list.

it wouldn't be the first or last suggestion of it's kind - unfortunately I'm quite sure
that such a thing will not be implemented, mostly because the list is neither admin'ed nor
moderated by anyone (IIRC Rasmus Lerdorf occasionally steps in to fix some techincal issues
when the list goes completely tits up - other than that the list 'just is' - and I don't
think anyone is expecting Rasmus or someone with a similar level of karma [in the php group's
server/system] to take on such tasks as your suggestion implies, unfortunately they too only
have 24 hours in each day :-P)

such is life - onwards and upwards to the next newbie post about trying to run a
php function when he/she clicks a link :-)