Re: mssql_* overhead

# prthomp@xxxxxxxx / 2007-01-10 10:49:35 -0600:
> On Jan 10, 2007, at 10:09 AM, Jochem Maas wrote:
> >Philip Thompson wrote:
> >>Does anyone know if the mssql_connect/_init/_bind/etc require a
> >>lot of overhead?

You can quite easily find out what effect those function have on the
performance profile of your program with xdebug.

> >>I have a page that requires multiple function calls and each of those
> >>opens a new connection to the database, performs the necessary
> >>actions in stored procedure(s), and then closes the connection.
> >>However, I  found this to be slower than I was wanting.

*What* have you found slower? Which of the multiple actions you mention
are you talking about?

> >>So I thought, just create one connection and assign it to the
> >>SESSION (a global), and in each  function that requires a
> >>connection, call that SESSION variable. At the end of the page,
> >>close the connection and nullify the variable.
> >
> >I wouldn't stick it in the SESSION superglobal (my tactic is  usually
> >to create a little wrapper class to the relevant DB functions and
> >store the  connection as a property of the class/object.
> >
> >basically opening & closing the connection once per request is the
> >way to go - if your going to using a global, better [than $_SESSION]
> >to  stick it in $GLOBALS imho.
>
> Would there be any speed decrease with multiple users (hundreds)
> sharing this $GLOBALS variable (if that makes sense)?

Looks like you're confused about semantics associated with $GLOBALS and
$_SESSION. In the context of web servers, $GLOBALS is limited to the
current request, $_SESSION persists across requests for a single
*session*, just as Jochem wrote.

You don't know, man.  You don't KNOW.