Re: E_RECOVERABLE_ERROR - 5.1.6 to 5.2.0

Roman Neuhauser wrote:
> # stuttle@xxxxxxxxx / 2007-01-04 12:53:14 +0000:
>> Roman Neuhauser wrote:
>>> # jochem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx / 2007-01-04 12:55:40 +0100:
>>> The timing results carry no information since we don't know what
>>> other things the computer was doing while the script was running.
>> In a single request I would agree with you. But combining the results of
>> all requests over a fairly lengthy period will provide useful results.
>>
>> I'm not gonna get a chance to do anything with it today. I'll have a
>> look tomorrow.
>
> Do share your numbers. My wife does statistics for a living, let's
> see what she'll have to say.

statistics is not an exact science - other than in the regard that you
can conclude from any set of numbers exactly whatever [the ****] you want.

we're not interested here in exact, hard facts when it comes to the end result
because real world systems are much too unpredictable to make any concrete
correlations between a 'prefect' benchmark and the performance of a
given production system.

what we are interested is the interpretation by many minds (that's us on this
list in this case) of quantitative, empirical data in order to achieve a reasonable
level of predictability with regard to the general performance of any given piece
of [php] code (as compared with alternative means of getting the same result)
within a real world system.

I get the feeling you might be taking this thread a tad too personally Roman,
an with regard to 'wives on this list' - only John Nichel's wife is fair game
and then only at his discretion :-P (that's a reference to some thread way back when,
just joking around as usual)