Re: E_RECOVERABLE_ERROR - 5.1.6 to 5.2.0

Roman Neuhauser wrote:
> # stuttle@xxxxxxxxx / 2007-01-04 11:38:58 +0000:
>> Jochem Maas wrote:
>>> out of interest, are you logging the result of each request? your
>>> probably getting quite a lot of hits to your phpspeed page right now
>>> - storing the results of everyone's requests is a nice way to grab
>>> extra/free data whilst you pick your nose ;-)
>> I'm not at the moment. It's a good idea though, if I get some time over
>> lunch I'll add it.
>
> What data?

the timing results. :-)

How are you going to remove the effect of concurrent requests
> for the page from the numbers?

why would you want to - it actually make for a more realistic test.
besides which it's not so much the real numbers that come out of any given request
as the differences between the numbers produced by each test within a single
request.

my point is that if you gather enough raw numbers of a a long enough period of
time then you will start to a see a realiable *trend*

at the end of the day nothing is 100% when it comes to benchmarking - and even if you could
make it so the real world has to many unknowns and mitigating factors as to
make the benchmarks completely worthless (unless you selling something ;-)

The other mail I sent showing a run where
> printf() came out almost twice as fast as echo clearly shows that the
> numbers carry little information.
>
> All that I could gather from several runs was that *printf() is
> *slightly* slower than echo, and that the difference isn't large enough
> to justify ditching *printf(). I knew this before.

obviously coding preference and code maintainance weigh heavily (or should do so imho);
your time is precious - hardware is cheap :-)