Re: php/ajax question

At 1:30 AM +0500 12/31/06, Fahad Pervaiz wrote:
When you use "HEADER()", an HTTP header is sent to client browser. So when using with an ajax call the header cannot redirect the page. For the purpose you have to use include or require. If you want to redirect client browser to some other location then you can work around with javascripts.

But when using ajax. headers cannot redirect client browser window.

Arrggg -- that's what I was afraid of. I'll have to direct my attention to javascript.

Thanks.

tedd

---

Let me know if u need any more help

--- ORIGINAL ---
Hi gang:

I have a small php script that behaves differently depending upon
who's calling it. The code is:

<?php session_start();   /* a.php  */
ob_start();
$_SESSION['var'] = "test";
ob_clean();
header("Location: <http://www.example.com/b.php>http://www.example.com/b.php";); /* Redirect browser */
exit; ?>

If the code is called directly, namely <http://www.example.com/a.php,> http://www.example.com/a.php,
then the $_SESSION var is filled with "text" and the redirect is
realized.

However, if the php script is called via ajax:

-snip- preceding ajax

function sndReq(action)
{
http.open('get', 'a.php');
http.send(null);
}

Then the $_SESSION var is filled with "test", but the redirect is not realized.

Why can't the php script redirect the browser when called via ajax ?

Thanks.

tedd

--
Regards