php 5 and register_globals=off gives lotsa errors

Hi to all.

I am having huge problems running my script, which worked fine on a
server with php 4 and register_globals turned on, on a server with php
5 and register_globals turned off.

I get errors around the area in my script where I use $_GET (not the
only error). For example the following code on my index.php file which
like many other sites I know, handles quite a large amount
if(action=="main"); etc etc. :

<?
$action = $_GET["action"]; //line 55
$sid = $_GET["sid"];       //line 56
$page = $_GET["page"];     //line 57
$who = $_GET["who"];       //line 58
?>

When I go to http://chillinglounge.net (where the error is located) I
get the following error message(s):

Notice: Undefined index: action in
C:\websites\chillinglounge.net\public_html\index.php on line 55

Notice: Undefined index: sid in
C:\websites\chillinglounge.net\public_html\index.php on line 56

Notice: Undefined index: page in
C:\websites\chillinglounge.net\public_html\index.php on line 57

Notice: Undefined index: who in
C:\websites\chillinglounge.net\public_html\index.php on line 58

Now if you would look at exactly the same script at
http://ranterswap.net you'd see absolutely no errors.

That's where I need your help. I know what is causing this error. I
believe it's the fact that register_globals is turned off.

But what I really want to know is: How do I fix it without trying to
turn register_globals on via .htaccess (because it doesn't work)?

Is there a function or some magic script that would to the trick?
Or do I have to recode my entire script and how?