Re: Re: Are PHP5 features worth it?

On Tuesday 19 December 2006 19:24, Tony Marston wrote:

> I have written a large application which uses the OO features of PHP 4, and
> the same code runs untouched with PHP 5. There is no advantage in making
> use of some of these fancy new features in PHP 5, so I just don't bother.

I couldn't disagree more.  While I've yet to write any exception-based code,
for me the magic getter/setter functionality in PHP 5's OOP is reason enough
to switch all on its own.  Even if you don't want to write Java-style OO with
crazy nested hierarchies (which you shouldn't be doing in PHP), true
Singletons can be quite nice.  The simplicity offered by passing objects as
references is nice.  There's a lot more to PHP 5's OOP than just "let's add
exceptions because Java has them", and that's not even counting the non-OOP
improvements.

Your point falls flat anyway.  Yes, most PHP 4 code will keep on humming in
PHP 5.  That doesn't mean the PHP 5 features have "no advantage", it just
means that they're not mandatory for code to work in PHP 5.  There's plenty
that you can do in PH P 5 that you couldn't do in PHP 4, but if all you know
is PHP 4 then you don't know what they are yet.  Your argument is logically
false.

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx		ICQ: 6817012