Re: Recomended host

tg-php@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I'm going to be controversial here and take issue with both of you.
>
> 1. The original question was about a hosting provider. Presumably a PHP web hosting provider.  So it is vaguely on-topic and is a question that's asked a lot.  It's easy to get a list of hosting providers online, but I believe the intent was to ask for people's opinions on providers they've used and to give testimonials (which you won't always find on hosting lists).

you presume a php hoster, but the OP didn't even bother to mention that (and how often do people post here
even when they *know* this is not the place at all) - additionally if the OP had searched the archives he would
never have had to ask the question (plenty of recommendations/testimonials have been offered in response to similar
questions in the [recent] past)

> 2. Pointing out someone's signature as being off topic is even further off topic for this list. Please take personal issues into private email.  I bring it up publicly as a reminder of proper list etiquette for anyone who happens to be reading this thread and to discourge this from going any further publicly.

Roman N. has been posting quite alot here recently and his signature has been the 'Vietnam Vet'
one for all that time AFAIR. Tedd has never mentioned it before and I am willing to bet that today was
not the first time he had seen it - I don't think Tedd was bringing up a real issue so much as pointing
out that the 'off topic' gripes cuts many ways.

I don't quite get the "don't do as I do, do as I" say part at the end of your second point; well I do
but I just think that it's a bit anal. I find getting all worked up about 'proper list etiquette' rather twisted,
given that every 60 seconds a child dies due to lack of food/water (you get the picture)

that said I've never had much with potentially offensive signatures -  I find
my posts are, quite often, offensive to some people all by themselves ;-)

> Now.. back to the original question.

nah lets keep it ot shall we. :-) (your reply was helpful for the OP to be sure :-)