RE: flash/php file uploader

The problem with having a "real" progress bar with PHP is that by default
PHP does not have a callback function so you won't know the status of the
uploaded file until it's complete.

One way of overcoming this is to use a combination of AJAX+Perl/CGI instead
of PHP. (Most LAMP servers can also run CGI scripts)

An example of an upload progress bar written in AJAX+CGI is Filechucker. Our
company purchased a license for use on one of our sites, its cheap and works
great.

I have also seen custom PHP extensions that add the callback method, but
they require you to recompile PHP and in the end we decided to go with the
CGI solution as it was pretty much plug and play.

-B