Re: hiding passwd in cmdlines that appear in the process list

tg-php@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> You'd assume those ENV variables are secure.. or secure "enough".  I know there's no such thing as perfect security, but I still wonder if there's a better way.
>
> Although at this point, if there was a way to read other process/subprocess ENV variables, it'd most likely be something an attacker would have to get at by being fairly close to the system (trojan installed as root and exploiting an OS bug that allowed access to ENV variables from other processes for example).  So I'm guessing this is about as secure as you're going to get for now.

thanks - nice to have a few extra brains executing this 'thought experiment'

> The problem still bugs me though.. hah.

yeah it niggles a bit. I keep hunting about now and again to see if I can learn how
seasoned shell scripters tackle such security issues - undoubtedly I'm not the first to come
accross these issues, I am after a very small hobbit standing on the shoulders of very tall ents.