Re: problem with register globals on new server

<afan@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> afan@xxxxxxxx wrote:
>>> hi,
>>> I had to move my osComerce store to new hosting company. new server runs
>>> on php5/mysql5.
>>>
>>> got this error:
>>> FATAL ERROR: register_globals is disabled in php.ini, please enable it!
>>>
>>> since evenon old server globals was Off I was adding
>>> <ifModule mod_php4.c>
>>> php_value register_globals 1
>>> </ifModule>
>>>
>>> Now, I tried with
>>>
>>> <ifModule mod_php5.c>
>>> php_value register_globals On
>>> </ifModule>
>>>
>>> but it doesn't work.
>>
>> Maybe your host doesn't allow it to be changed through a htaccess..
>>
>> Is htaccess support enabled?
>>
>> Put garbage in the file (random chars) and if you get a 500 internal
>> server error, htaccess files work.. if you don't, that's the problem.
> yup! that was the problem.
> though, after I talked to administrator, he is not happy to reconfigure
> Apache to allow .htaccess because of security issue. Is this REALLY so big
> issue?

If you site administrator thinks that using an htaccess file is a security
issue then he is very much mistaken.  The directives in an htaccess file DO
NOT enable you to access any one else's data on a shared server. All they do
is apply additional settings to your own site while leaving UNTOUCHED the
settings being used by other sites.

Most professional web hosting companies do not have an issue with htaccess
files, so if yours does I would suggest switching to one with a more
professional attuitude.

--
Tony Marston
http://www.tonymarston.net