Re: Help with strange include problem in PHP 5.2.0

On Thu, November 30, 2006 6:49 am, Markus Mayer wrote:
> I have a strange problem including files in PHP 5.2.0 running on Unix.
>  If I
> try to include a file using include 'filename.inc';, everything is
> fine.  As
> soon as I try to put a "." in front of the file name, for example
> include './filename.inc';, I get a "failed to open stream: No such
> file or
> directory" error.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to what is
> going
> wrong?` This all works with php 4.4.4 built with the same environment
> and
> compiler on the same system.

What is your include path in PHP 5.2.0?

I'm going to go out on a limb and bet a dollar that the PHP 4.4.4
include_path has "." as one element within the list and that the PHP
5.2.0 include_path does NOT have "." within the list.

I.e.:
4.4.4 include_path ".:include_test_dir"
5.2.0 include_path "include_test_dir"

In the first case, 4.4.4, you've got . in there, so . combined with ./
will "find" the file you want.

In the second case, 5.2.0, you've got no . in there, so ./ is looking
in a directory, not the directory you expect, and it ain't finding the
file because it's not there.

Rant #24, not directed at Markus, but the world at large :-)
PHP developers should understand and use include_path instead of
hacking up their source with hard-coded paths and weird sub-directory
/ parent-directory hacks in include/require statements.

It drives me nuts when I install nice software packages, but I can't
put their components where I want them.

End result:
rm -rf [insert your nifty project directory name here]

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?