Re: turning use session cookies off still uses cookies?

On Thu, November 30, 2006 7:42 am, blackwater dev wrote:
> I asked a similar question the other day but I have been having an
> issue
> lately with my sessions and certain browsers.  I then tried to set my
> session.use_cookies var in php.ini to 0 yet if I log in and don't have
> cookies turned on, the sessions still don't seem to work.  Can I
> really use
> sessions without using cookies?  Below is my code and sessions
> settings.

One can really use session without cookies.

PHP splices the SID (session_id) into every URL, and every ACTION in
FORM tags, every IMG SRC, and various other places I won't try to list
all of.

> If
> I can use sessions without cookies, seems like that would solve the
> issue of
> people having cookies turned on.

If, in fact, the problem is related to browser acceptance/rejection of
cookies, it would have solved that, assuming you had stopped/started
Apache and gotten the right php.ini file changed and so on, so you
really did tell PHP to never use cookies and use the URL to pass the
session ID.

> session.use_cookiesOffOff session.use_only_cookiesOffOff
> session.use_trans_sid00

Here, however, it is clear that you turned OFF cookies, but did not
turn ON trans_sid.

You've got to have at least one or the other "on" to get the session
ID to propogate from page to page.

There is no Session ID Fairy to pass the ID back and forth :-)

Turn trans_sid "ON" and test again, and you'll know if it was, in
fact, a cookie issue.

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?