Process of creating invoices requiring human thought!

I?m creating an invoicing system for a children?s nursery, and I?m trying to
work out how I can replicate the thought process one would normally go
through when working out the bill for each day.

I?ve created all the mysql tables that I think I need, with all the info
possible; along the following lines (I?m only showing what?s relevant):

Child -> childId, starttime, endtime

Fees -> feeId, starttime, endtime, rate (£)

The easiest way to explain this is as follows:

The nursery fees are broken down into AM (8am to 12.30pm), PM (12.30pm to
6pm) and All Day (8am to 6pm), and furthermore there?s an hourly rate for
extras.

Child A starts at 9 and finishes at 5 therefore they come under the all day
rate

Child B starts at 8.30 and finishes at 12pm therefore they come under the AM
rate

Child C starts at 9.30 and finishes at 1pm, and because it?s not a straight
they do AM, PM or All Day, they?ll probably fall under AM, cos it?s
including lunch.

Can anyone see an easy way of putting that sort of ?human thinking? into a
script?  Any guidance would be gratefully received?

Just to give a bit more background, there are two nurseries (at the moment)
and they have different session times, so the fees table does need to have
the starttime and endtime. :-(

Cheers

Nunners