Re: Detecting naughty sites

Dave Goodchild wrote:
> Hi all. I am building a web app and as part of it advertisers can upload
> their ad image and website URL to go with their ad. Is there a good way to
> detect whether that site is a porn site via php?

buy a screen, a PC, a heartrate monitor and small man from thailand - plugin
the PC, sit the man down behind it and hook both him and the heartrate monitor
up to the PC - now start feeding him urls to watch and sync that with the output
of the heartrate monitor. you may need to run an number of these systems in parallel to
counter extreme sexual preference in any one unit.

on a more serious note: NO.
neither Yahoo nor Google is capable of successfully filtering pron - if they can't
do it neither can you (there is a million to 1 chance your god's own programmer and
that you can/will come up with a rock solid solution but I'm not holding my breath.

	e.g.: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11/23/yahoo_search_result/

(no bias against Yahoo intended, It just happened to be a relevant example that was still
floating around my short-term memory.)

I would suggest using a combination of:

1. solid, legally-sound T&C
2. require real address, etc with registration - and use a CAPTCHA technique, which
may not be nice and accessible but then again when did you last here of a blind man
uploading a banner ad image?
3. delay publication of ads until each image has been verified by a human
4. to counter the annoyance of no.3 you could add a 'niceguy' flag to your userdata
so that people you trust not to upload pron don't have to wait to be verified.

alternatively only allow text ads (works for Google ;-)