Re: To install a small program from a web browser

At 11:24 AM -0800 11/25/06, Navid wrote:
Thanks guys. I found out (or he actually revealed to me) what he wants his members to download without their knowledge. I refused to work on his project. I knew it sounded fishy.

Navid:

Way to go -- not everything is worth the money.

Besides, I'm not sure that it's possible anyway. I know that we (via php/js) can download to the user's computer text in the form of a cookie in the background and thus the operation is somewhat hidden from the user. But we can't do anything with the cookie other than detect/read it the next time the user passes by -- and that's only if the user accepts cookies.

I guess one could work out a scheme where you could have a link that appears to be something else but when clicked it downloads a file, virus have been known spread that way. But most/some browsers show you when a download has been started and you have to do something to unpack it -- or at least that's my understanding.

In any event, if someone placed something on my machine without my knowledge, I would be pissed -- that's not a good thing.

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------