Re: backing up a database

On Wed, November 22, 2006 3:53 am, Ross wrote:
> I have a database and it needs to get backed up on a daily basis. Is
> there a
> class that allows me to create a backup and then save it as a .sql or
> excel
> or both to a folder of her choice?

I personally would not involve PHP in this process, in general, as the
existing database backup software for almost any database will be more
efficient and have less overhead than piping any of it through PHP...

So just create a cron job in a shell to do:
mysql_dump > backup_path_here

Of course, if one has no shell access, you're kinda stuck using PHP to
run the http://php.net/exec to do that, and then some kind of hinky
way to pretend to run cron...  Finding a new webhost is my usual
solution to that :-)

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?