Re: 3d modeling-php

On Tue, November 21, 2006 12:44 pm, blackwater dev wrote:
> I want people to be able to put in some dimensions, like a lot size,
> and
> then pick some other items (which will have their dimensions stored).
> The
> user can then drag the other items onto their lot, move them, etc just
> see what fits and where.  They could even view it in 3d.  My current
> app is
> all PHP so trying to find the best way to do this.  Does anyone have
> any
> ideas or of a site which does something similiar?  Will I have to use
> something like Flash?

Almost-for-sure you will want a client-side interactive scripting
language such as:
ActionScript in Flash
JavaScript in most user's browsers
Java applet/servelet

These all come with their own pros and cons.

PHP would be involved only if you have an AJAX-y JavaScript client
pounding back on to the server to calculate what fits where -- Which
will probably perform like a total dog compared to something all
client-side.

So the only way this belongs in PHP is if you can convince all the
users to install that nifty "PHPScript" thingie I saw in PECL or PEAR
the other week...  Kinda like JavaScript, only PHP, for the browser.
I keep meaning to play with that...

PS This is really 2-D modeling, right?... Or are you actually going to
let them "stack" items in a 3-D world?

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?