Re: Smart Quotes not so smart

On Mon, November 20, 2006 6:19 pm, Richard Lynch wrote:
> Catch the data somewhere in PHP and use the functions from the User
> Contributed code on http://php.net/str_replace to replace the MS Word
> chars with their ASCII or HTML equivalents -- Both versions are in the
> User Contributed notes, plus variations on this theme.

And I meant http://php.net/htmlentities, of course, though some
comments on str_replace may also be apropos...

I also have to wonder about "works fine" on a re-read of your Original
Post.

Do you mean: "Works fine in IE on MS"
Or do you mean: "Works fine in all browsers on Mac OS 9"

Cuz those are not the same for the smart quotes junk...

It even matters which fonts your browser user picks and which versions
of which browsers one uses, as some browser-makers seem to have gotten
tired of this mess and just caved in to MS charset eventually...

Or maybe I just happened to test my apps back in the day with a font
that "worked" on some browsers...

You pretty much have to ban the use of MS products for content
generation to solve this problem for real -- As much like office
politics suicide as that may seem, it's about all you can do if you
don't want to spend the rest of your life chasing down this same
issue.

Users will always find a way to copy/paste their data in
somewhere/somehow, in any non-trivial system that lets them use MS
products to generate the content.

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?