Smart Quotes not so smart

I've run into this sort of issue a few times before, and never found a good
solution.  Now a client has been hit with it and is asking for a solution,
and I'm not convinced there is one. :-)

Client has a large MS SQL database with lots of data.  Some of that data
includes "smart quotes", aka curly quotes, but not real ones.  They're the MS
Word character encoding standards?  What's that?" smart quotes.  On their old
setup (SQL Server 2k, OpenLink ODBC driver, IIS, PHP 4.0.6), they actually
worked just fine.  On our old devel setup (the same but with a different ODBC
driver), it worked fine.

On our new devel setup (SQL Server 2k, OpenTDS ODBC driver, Apache, PHP
5.1.6), it works fine.  On their new live setup, however, (same, but again
not sure of the ODBC driver) they're getting the dreaded squares or question
marks or accented characters that signify a garbled smart quote.  I know
they're not unicode characters because Windows, the DB server, and the driver
are all set to either UTF-8 or UTF-16.

We've tried eliminating middle-men to no avail.  I've also tried doing a
find-replace on the smart quote characters before they're inserted into the
database, copying and pasting them from Word, and PHP skips right past them
and enters them into the database.

All we're left with is MAYBE telling them to dry a different ODBC driver or
else fixing the data by hand.  I don't like either option, myself.  Does
anyone have any better ideas to suggest?  Any idea what those smart quotes
actually are, and if they exist in ANY valid character set other than Word
itself?

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx		ICQ: 6817012