Re: CSS / PHP / Javascript

hmmm, this reply turned into something that resembles a rant about halfway thru...
still ... maybe it's helpful in some way.

Ed Lazor wrote:
> I'm reading a book on CSS and how you can define different style sheets
> for different visitors.  I'm wondering how you guys do it.  The book
> recommends using Javascript functions for identifying the user's browser
> and matching them with the corresponding style sheets.  Anyone using PHP
> for this instead - specifically with defining style sheets for different
> target browsers and platforms?

having to define CSS files for particular browsers and/or platforms is indicative
of the crap we have to deal with - in theory you should NOT be targeting browser/platform
specificallt AT ALL. you should be writing stylesheets for different types
of user-agents (as defined by the W3C media types) - but who is really doing that.

I recommend trying to build your sites using CSS that all browsers understand
- i.e. avoid software/platform/version specific hacks whenever possible - when you
have to add such a hack try to use a technique that you can unobtrusively incorporate
into an existing CSS file.

the man named tantek has lots of techniques you can abuses ;-) :

	e.g. http://tantek.com/CSS/Examples/midpass.html

also consider that maybe you shouldn't try and tackle every visual discrepency
between 2 different browsers/platforms! - you may have clients who bully you
into 'fixing' layout in WeirdBrowser1.4 for instance - you need to develop a
means to explain the problem to clients in such a way that they understand that
not everything is under your control, and that they can't make you endlessly
chase moving targets (i.e. make the client understand that web != print).

if a client is willing to pay for every mindnumbing hour spent fixing arcane
browser specific display 'bugs' then everything is okay - but don't get stuck
working for weeks for no pay because some marketing manager has 'decided' he/she
knows better what a website is and to what extent you must comply to his implicit
wishes [i.e. you can break every 'rule' of website building and ignore/rape any/every
relevant specification/standard so long as everything ispixel perfect in every browser according
to the original mockup supplied by a graphic designer who can't even grasp the concept
of screen resolution (I know plenty of print-based designers that fall into this category)]