Re: open source zip code geographical drill down

Hi Ben,

I'm trying to build some functionality commonly seen on the web where
a user enters a zip code and they are provided with a listing of
business or entity locations sorted by geographical distance.

I came up with a script to where it will do this, however, the big
question is how many distributors are there?

I can send my code to you but I have a premonition that it will
seriously choke up once the database becomes large.

Here are the steps

1) enter distributor addresses
2) find table with zip code and coordinates
3) find the formula that calculates straight line distances between
two sets of coordinates.
4) have LAMP perform its magic over the first 3.
5) then lather, rinse, and repeat.

The problem with my methodology is that it does not calculate road
distances.  Who knows how complex that would end up being.

Let me know what you find out and if you don't find out much else I
will be glad to dig out my code.  (but that might take a couple days).

--
Leonard Burton, N9URK
leonardburton@xxxxxxxxx

"The prolonged evacuation would have dramatically affected the
survivability of the occupants."