Ed Lazor wrote:
Here's another idea:

display your message in the original browser window, launch a new browser window for the processing script, have the window set behind the first with javascript. When your script is finished, have it output javascript that closes the "processing" window.

On Nov 2, 2006, at 12:37 PM, ray.hauge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:  Closing a connection to browser without exiting the
script
From: David Négrier <d.negrier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, November 01, 2006 2:24 pm
To: php-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello there,

I'm having a somewhat unusual question here, and I cannot find any way
to solve it.

I have a PHP page that displays a message, and then, performs a very
long operation. Note that it displays the message first.
I do not intend to give some feedback to the user when the operation is
done.

I've seen I can use ignore_user_abort() to prevent the user from
stopping the ongoing operation, but that solves only part of my problem. Because as long as the page is not fully loaded, the mouse cursor in the
user's browser is showing a watch.

So ideally, what I would like is to be able to close the connection from
the server-side, but without using the exit() function, so my script
keeps running afterwards.

I know I could use a system() call to launch another process to do the
processing, but I would like to avoid doing that, because there are many
variables in the context that I cannot easily pass in parameter.

I also tried to use the register_shutdown_function() to perform my
operation after the page is displayed but since PHP 4.1.0, the
connection is closed after the function is called....

Would any of you have an idea on how I could close that connection?

Thanks a lot,
David
www.thecodingmachine.com

It's a bit different of an idea, but you could put your reqest to
perform the operation in a text file in some directory.  Then you have
a seperate PHP script that checks that directory for any files that
would tell it to operate.  Then you tell Cron to run that script every
minute, 10 minutes, whatever works best for you.

With this idea you can write out the file and then tell the person that
you have submitted a request.  Then the cron job checks for the request
and performs it.  You could use a database instead of a file as well
with the idea of a queue.  That would probably work better, because
then if you needed to you can keep track of which user's process was
run, and then update the "user" table.  Say the "user" table has a
column "processing" with three possible values.  0 (not processed), 1
(in processing), 2 (finished processing).  You could probably expand
upon that idea quite a bit more if you need to.

It's no single magic bullet function call, but that's how I'd probably
do it.

Ray