Re: Frameworks

Hello,

on 11/02/2006 05:37 PM ray.hauge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx said the following:
> I know this subject has been covered in the past, but my question is why
> use them?  I'm hoping to not create a religious war...  I see that
> frameworks would probably help you develop some things faster, but most
> of the time they don't do the things the way I would want them to work.
> If I did use one, it almost seems like I would use it to get through
> something  until I had time to do things the way I wanted/needed to do
> them.  There's a lot of talk about frameworks lately, and especially
> the Zend Framework, so I'd like to look into what it's all about.  I
> think I might be missing out the framework issue, so I'd like to hear
> other people's opinions.
>
> I do like the mail, pdf, and a few other parts of the Zend Framework.  I
> also like that it's more like a set of tools than a monolithic beast
> that would take a lot of memory just to load up into your application.
>
> Your thoughts?

The reason why people tend to write their own solutions has to do with
the fact that existing solutions may not match their needs or
application structure preferences.

Another reason is dependence on someone else development. There are
plenty of Open Source libraries run by close minded developers that do
not accept patches nor improvement suggestions. Relying on libraries
that have these problems may get you stuck when you need something
better that is not yet provided by those libraries.

Zend Framework is yet another example of a library that attempts to
solve the same problems that other have solved, but the Zend way, which
implies their coding rules and PHP 5 reliance. If those constraints do
not please you end up discarding the whole library altogether.

Some people prefer to use individual libraries from different sources so
they can compose a solution that matches better your needs.

These and other aspects have been covered in this blog post precisely
regarding the criteria of choice of frameworks.

http://www.phpclasses.org/blog/post/52-Recommended-PHP-frameworks.html

--

Regards,
Manuel Lemos