Re: Microsoft Partners With Zend

Daevid Vincent wrote:
> [...]

How?  Microsoft's only weapon here is to make PHP work better on
Windows.  They can't in any way make it worse on non-Windows platforms.
This is the sort of involvement we want from Microsoft.  We want them to
compete technologically as opposed to some of the crap we have seen from
them over the years.

And don't forget that press releases and partnerships mean very little
to an open source project.  They didn't partner with us, they partnered
with Zend.  That's not going to give them better access to commit code
to PHP.

The only slight negative as far as you are concerned could be that they
may divert some Zend resources to work on Windows issues that aren't
interesting to you.  But consider that there are 1133 people with PHP
cvs accounts.  Only 11 work for Zend, and out of those 11 only 3 have
committed anything substantial in the past year.  Zend resources are
already diverted to their various commercial projects.  And some of that
will most likely result in some contributions to PHP funneled through
one of the 3 active people, so that might be a bit low, but still.

The point is that PHP is a large open source project with broad support
from a number of companies and even more stubborn open source
developers.  No one company can "pervert PHP".

-Rasmus