Re: Problem compiling PHP 4.4.2 with mcrypt

Tom Ray [Lists] wrote:
I have to get a temporary server in place under a tight time frame and am using a pre-existing server that wasn't configured really for hosting websites. I've upgraded all the services on it like going from Apache 1.3.x to Apache 2.0.59 and PHP from it's old version to 4.4.2 however I need to have mcrypt compiled with PHP and I'm running into a problem.

If I compile PHP without mcrypt I can install PHP without issue. However, when I try to compile PHP with --with-mcrypt=/usr/local/mcrypt I get the following error:

main/internal_functions.lo -lcrypt -lcrypt -lmcrypt -lltdl -lresolv -lm -ldl -lnsl -lcrypt -lcrypt -o libphp4.la /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-suse-linux/3.2/../../../../i486-suse-linux/bin/ld: cannot find -lltdl
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [libphp4.la] Error 1

Now I went back and compiled without mcrypt and looked for that line and this is what was there:

main/internal_functions.lo -lcrypt -lcrypt -lresolv -lm -ldl -lnsl -lcrypt -lcrypt -o libphp4.la

I see that along with -lmcrypt not being there neither is -lltdl is there something I'm missing? Do I need to have something else installed on the box? Normally I haven't had this problem with this. But this is an old suse 8.x box that is being used due to time frame issues.

Like I said I can compile PHP without mcrypt, but the project requires mcrypt so any help on this would be appreciated.

Looks like mcrypt has an extra dependency.

Do you have the mcrypt-dev or mcrypt-devel package installed (whatever suse calls it) ?

When I just went to install mcrypt on my debian machine it added "libltdl3" to the list of packages it needed.

Do you have that one installed?

How come you're compiling and not installing the package(s) ? Is suse too old to be able to install 4.4.2?

Last question :P how come you're installing 4.4.2 and not the latest - 4.4.4 ?

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/