Re: Problem with EXEC and PASSTHRU

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 20:35:29 +1300, Matt Beechey wrote:

> I am writing a php website for users to edit a global whitelist for Spam
> Assassin - all is going fairly well considering I hadn't ever used php until
> a couple of days ago. My problem is I need to restart AMAVISD-NEW after the
> user saves the changes. I've acheived this using SUDO and giving the
> www-data users the rights to SUDO amavisd-new. My problem is simply a user
> friendlyness issue - below is the code I'm running -
>
> if(isset($_POST["SAVE"]))
> {
> file_put_contents("/etc/spamassassin/whitelist.cf", $_SESSION[whitelist]);
> $_SESSION[count]=0;
> echo "Restarting the service.........</A></P>";
> exec('sudo /usr/sbin/amavisd-new reload');
> echo "Service was restarted...... Returning to the main page.";
> sleep(4)
> echo '<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0;URL=index.php">';
> }
>
> The problem is that the Restarting the Service dialogue doesn't get
> displayed until AFTER the Service Restarts even though it appears before the
> shell_exec command. I've tried exec and passthru and its always the same - I
> want it to display the "Service was restarted" - wait for 4 seconds and then
> redirect to the main page. Instead nothing happens on screen for the browser
> user until the service has restarted at which point they are returned to
> index.php - its as if the exec and the sleep and the refresh to index.php
> are all kind of running concurently.
>
> Can someone PLEASE tell me what I'm doing wrong - or shed light on how I
> should do this.

www.php.net/flush may help you out, but there are many reasons for
even that not to work... such as IE needing at least 256 (out the top of
my head) bytes before showing anything, IE needing all data in a
<TABLE> before showing it and commonly to make sure you send at least some
20 characters or so before being able to flush() again.