Re: connectivity weirdness

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 16:52:54 -0500, Richard Lynch wrote:

> On Fri, October 20, 2006 11:40 am, Richard Lynch wrote:
> Changing the gateway to the one that NATs fixed things.

Good you got things fixed!

> PS
> On another fun job this weekend...
> NOTE TO SELF:  Always check to make sure nobody kicked the wall wart
> loose from the power strip before you waste an hour trying to fix your
> boss' Win98 2Ed. computer after he claims that the whole Internet is
> "down"
> Every damn change to the IP/netconfig required re-inserting the damn
> OS CD and re-booting!  What the hell is up with that?
> No wonder I told him I was no longer supporting that box five years
> ago...

Since we're OT here anyway: The older the Windows get, the more often you
need to reboot. That's where this joke came from: "Windows detected you
moved the mouse cursor. Please restart Windows for the changes to take
effect". Win98 particularly sucks with that, but Win/2000 and WinXP are a
lot better, but then again never as good as Linux. I only need to reboot
after upgrading my kernel :)

Ivo