Re: Comment management

On Mon, 2006-10-23 at 16:54 -0400, Chris Shiflett wrote:
> Tedd wrote:
> > I just wanted to check before launching my own home-grown
> > solution and then having everyone say "Why didn't you use
> > so-and-so's 'comment manager'"?
>
> For what it's worth, I'm interested in a good solution to this problem
> as well, and I don't think it's nearly as trivial as others seem to think.
>
> Most existing solutions have one or more undesirable characteristics:
>
> 1. Too many external dependencies
> 2. Some content is removed
> 3. Blacklist approaches to filtering
> 4. Yet another markup language
> 5. XHTML is required (or invalid XHTML is produced)
>
> I'm sure I could come up with several more with a bit of thought. Of
> course, I'd love to be proven wrong and shown a really great solution.

Well it's still trivial, just most of us who have frameworks wouldn't be
so wasteful of our time to remove the dependency of our framework and
code it from first principles. We created frameworks for a reason. Also,
you've added a feature list not present in the OP, and while I still say
trivial that may depend on what you expect of #2 and #3 which you've
obviously left blank which means we don't even have your list of
"desirable" characteristics... so actually, your request is sort of
impossible since I'm not about to guess... and I'll sleep well tonight
whether I prove you wrong or not :)

Cheers,
Rob.