Re: Finding a visitor's location

At 3:35 AM -0500 10/23/06, John Messam wrote:
Hello, I am trying to find out the country and possibly the city where the
visitors to my site are coming from.   I can capture the IP address but how
do I translate that to a specific locale.   Is there a way to do it or do I
have to ask them and map the info myself.  Thank you for you help.  This list
is a very useful tool.

John

John:

I've done the country thing, namely:

http://xn--ovg.com/location

It depends upon a somewhat large IP to Country database stored in mysql. The user's reported IP is simply looked up in the dB and the country is returned. You might find something more specific (i.e., city) and if you do, please share.

I've had the above page working for several months and have received hundreds of reports with less than two percent saying it was the wrong country -- so, it seems to work. If you want the dB, reply off list.

tedd
--
-------