Re: What is the smallest, fastest web server to run PHP and SSL (on a soekris box)

On 18 Oct 2006, at 17:25 , Daevid Vincent wrote:
I need to run a httpd server that can serve up PHP, SQL Lite, and SSL on a
little Soekris box (ie. a 486 with 32MB RAM and 32MB CF storage).

There's thttp which is really really small. However, keep in mind, Apache has been around for long enugh that at one time a 486 with 32MB of RAm was state of the art.

How small can Apache get?

Pretty darn small. You might find SSL is larger, and certainly SQL Lite will have more of an impact.

I'd try it with apache with as much disabled as possible. You're going to find better support tools for apache anyway. However, the 'throttling' aspect of thttp might be useful in a low-resource setting.

Related, does anyone know of a tutorial or something that will help to
reduce Apache to only the things really needed for PHP, mySQL, SSL? Right
now, our Apache memory footprint is an astounding 120MB !!

How are you counting that? If you've only got 32MB it CAN'T be using 120MB. Unless you are counting VRAM, which is a mistake.

--
We will fight for Bovine Freedom and hold our large heads high
We will run free with the Buffalo or die