Creating thumbnails using Image Functions, then saving to folders

Good Morning:

I am looking to create a thumbnail from an uploaded image, and then save it to a directory.

I don't have any problem with the image functions, and can successfully create the thumbnail and push it to the browser or, as is currently set up, store the data in a database.

What I want to do instead, however, is take that dynamically created thumbnail and write it to a folder on the server.

If I simply write the file, however, it appears I need to have a folder chmod'd world read/writable for the process to work.  My network guys do not want this.

I tried the FTP functions, which work great for copying a file that already exists somewhere into another folder, but I can't seem to get it to recognize the buffer as a valid source file location...

Is there a way to use a php FTP function to FTP the file out of the buffer to a directory on the server, or some other way to write a file to a folder without making that folder 0777?

Chris Matthews
eGovernment Information Officer
Washoe County, Nevada
775.328.3719
http://www.washoecounty.us

Director, West Region
National Association of Government Webmasters
http://www.nagw.org