Re: Re: postback for php

With my brief foray into ASP.NET for a previous job, I remember "postback" being a conglomeration of junk code that it used to POST data back to the server and may have been kinda AJAXy in nature.

The forms in ASP.NET tended to do stuff like convert from a static text string to a INPUT field when you clicked the edit button and would save and revert back to static text when you clicked the "save" or "cancel" buttons.

Of course the static <-> INPUT switch could be done with simple javascript stuff, but the saving the data back to the server without refreshing the page is an AJAX type deal.

Another buzz word associated with ASP.NET that might help is "datagrid".  Just an interactive table of data, but tend to have postback functions in them for editing, sorting, column rearranging, etc.

Not exactly the same as ASP.NET's implementation, but if you search for "php datagrid" you'll find some examples.  Including this one:

http://www.scriptsearch.com/cgi-bin/jump.cgi?ID=3710

Just tossing some thoughts out there that might help lead to a solution.  All depends on exactly what's needed.  If you want persistant states carried through page changes, want AJAX style data submission without reloading pages, etc.  These might be some of the key words to search for.

-TG