Re: mail() encoded subject line

Emil Edeholt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I hope this is not too off topic but I have a problem when I use mail().
> When I add the header Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8 the body
> of the mail is encoded fine but the subject is not encoded. I've tried
> to utf8_encode() and utf8_decode() the subject text but neither helps.
>
> Any idea of how to pass what encoding to use on an email subject?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Regards Emil

Have a look at the Zend Mail wrapper.

You have to specially encode the subject to be completely stand alone
from the encoding of the body. All header that contain special
characters (e.g. the From name) have to be stand-alone as the
Content-Type header only applies to the body of the message.

See here: http://www.snook.ca/archives/servers/encoding_accent/

In the Zend Framework:
http://framework.zend.com/fisheye/browse/~raw,r=598/Zend_Framework/trunk/library/Zend/Mail.php
Look at the _encodeHeader() function and more specifically the
Zend_Mime::encodeQuotedPrintable($value) method.

Hope that helps.

Col