Re: PHP Denial of service

Ryan Barclay wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I can't seem to find ignore_user_abort in my php.ini. I would like to do it at server level, rather than individual scripts. Do you know roughly where is it? I think there were some versions with this missing in the ini, which was later fixed.

I'm guessing that if ignore_user_abort is set to on, this could be the culprit?

Would simply adding the following to the ini work?
Ignore user abort defaults to off, and doesn't necessarily help you if the clients don't terminate their connections properly, or they're actually trying to DoS you. I think your best bet is to either use some lightweight detection in PHP (and maybe send an HTTP error header if you're getting hit), or better yet, use a firewall if one is available to prevent the connections from even getting to your webserver and wasting its resources. (If your server is running on Linux, iptables should be able to do what you need, and there are more complicated solutions too.)

jon