RE: PHP Mailer and SMTP = SPAM?

Thanks, that was very clear :)

-----Original Message-----
From: Roman Neuhauser [mailto:neuhauser@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, October 13, 2006 6:32 AM
To: Richard Lynch
Cc: Peter Lauri; php-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  PHP Mailer and SMTP = SPAM?

# ceo@xxxxxxxxx / 2006-10-12 11:23:52 -0500:
> On Wed, October 11, 2006 11:28 pm, Peter Lauri wrote:
> > [snip]
> > Unless the email is coming "from" somebody the recipient knows/trusts,
> > then you're going to get marked by them as a spammer -- which will
> > report back to some of the lists marking you as a spammer.
> > [/snip]
> >
> > But is it not a problem sending from the SMTP server thedomain.com
> > using something else then the email thename@xxxxxxxxxxxxx? I am
> > planning to send from an existing email from the domain.
>
> Not really -- at least not in my limited experience.
>
> There are so many OTHER factors that the DNS resolution of the return
> address and the actual SMTP machine not matching up are probably not a
> deciding factor...

    Sender, client.example.org, IP 1.2.3.4 connects to the receiver
    (server.example.org).

    1. DNS - PTR RR. If 4.3.2.1.in-addr.arpa doesn't exist (the value
       would be client.example.org), server refuses the connection
    2. DNS - A RR. If client.example.org doesn't exist or doesn't
       resolve to 1.2.3.4, server refuses the connection
    3. DNS - RBL. If 1.2.3.4 is in any of a number of possible
       RBLs, server refuses the connection
    4. DNS - RHSBL. If example.org is in any of a number of possible
       RHSBLs, server refuses the connection

    If the client passed all checks, the server accepts the connection:

    S: 220 server.example.org ESMTP
    C: HELO client.example.org
    S: 250 Ok

    5. SMTP - If client doesn't say HELO with a FQDN argument, or
    6. SMTP - If the HELO command argument doesn't resolve to the client
       IP address, the server responds with a 4xx or 5xx.

    C: MAIL FROM: joe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

    7. DNS - MX or A RR. If neither of these records exists for
       elsewhere.org, server replies with 5xx, permanent error.

    S: 450 Greylisted
    C: QUIT

    server replied with a 4xx temporary error code, the client (rightly)
    disconnected. server in turn tries to send a message back to
    joe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx to see if it accepts email:

    E: 220 erwin.elsewhere.org ESMTP
    S: HELO server.example.org
    E: 250 Ok
    S: MAIL FROM: <>
    E: 250 Ok
    S: RCPT TO: <joe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
    E: 250 Ok
    S: QUIT

    The empty FROM address is the special null address used to send
    bounce messages.

    Should erwin reply with 5xx to any of the commands from server,
    joe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx will be stored in a nondeliverables database, and
    when client returns it'll be rejected:

    C: MAIL FROM: <joe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
    S: 550 Sender rejected

    I'm sure I forgot something or screwed the description here and
    there, but you get the idea.

You don't know, man.  You don't KNOW.