Re: Working with overly aggressive anti-spam measures [SOLVED]

On Wed, October 11, 2006 9:14 pm, Google Kreme wrote:
> On 10 Oct 2006, at 19:57 , Dave M G wrote:
>> It took me a little while to realize that the Spamassassin always
>> says that an email is possible scam if it has any score above zero,
>> but it takes a score of 5.0 to actually be deleted as spam.
>
> No no no, this is not at all true.
>
> First off, Spamassassin does not delete mail. It, in point of fact,
> CANNOT delete mail as it has no mechanism to do so.

Sorry -- I was very ambiguous.

Everywhere I typed "SA" in my post should be replaced with:

"The squirrel-mail interface provided by my webhost, combined with a
custom PHP IMAP inbox-scanning/filtering script I hacked up for my own
unique needs, along with the Spam Assassin scoring also provided by my
webhost"

My apologies for imprecision.

But I get bonus points for brevity in the original post :-)

> Anyone who is automatically deleting mail on their own with a score
> of 5.0 or higher _will_ miss some legitimate email.  Not might,
> WILL.  Even at a score of 10.0 (where I auto-delete my mail) you will
> miss as much as 0.004% legitimate mail, iirc. (so, 4 messages in
> 100,000)

Yes, but getting 10,000 messages per day[*] means I don't READ email
anymore.

I do email triage. :-)

I'm losing 4 real emails every 10 days to my triage.

I can live with that.

I cannot live with skimming through 10,000 emails per day searching
for the ~1 email every other day that is valid.

YMMV

[*]
It's been several years since I've seen a report on how many
unfiltered emails per day I received.  10,000 was the number back
then.  It is inconceivable that the number has decreased, by any
realistic projection.

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?