RE: PHP Mailer and SMTP = SPAM?

On Wed, October 11, 2006 11:28 pm, Peter Lauri wrote:
> [snip]
> Unless the email is coming "from" somebody the recipient knows/trusts,
> then you're going to get marked by them as a spammer -- which will
> report back to some of the lists marking you as a spammer.
> [/snip]
>
> But is it not a problem sending from the SMTP server thedomain.com
> using
> something else then the email thename@xxxxxxxxxxxxx? I am planning to
> send
> from an existing email from the domain.

Not really -- at least not in my limited experience.

There are so many OTHER factors that the DNS resolution of the return
address and the actual SMTP machine not matching up are probably not a
deciding factor...

I could be wrong on this -- I don't run SMTP servers, and *most* of my
email is coming out from the same server, but I also have a "contact
them" link, and it seems to work fine, and is most certainly not using
return addresses whose DNS matches the sending server.

> So even that I send from thedomain.com SMTP server I should to set the
> FROM
> and REPLY TO to the person who is referring? Our main idea was to send
> the
> email from the author of the book as it comes from him, but that is
> maybe
> not a great idea?

Send the email "From: " the person who actually typed it.

Anything else is more likely to trip you up in some other way, I
should think.

> So I am in the middle of two suggestions:
>
> 1. Make sure that the email is in the domain that you are sending from
> 2. Make sure that the emails is from the referring persons email so it
> won't
> be marked as spam at their point.

In an ideal world, you have a limited number of authors, and you can
configure YOUR SMTP server as a relay for them, thus meeting both
conditions.

rasmus AT dwsasia.com would a valid email, forwarding to a known valid
email for Rasmus the PHP Pocket Guide author.

So, you get the best of all worlds -- Custom emails on your site with
the correct DNS resolution to "match" the sender, the author's name in
the email address, even using the "First Last" <flast@xxxxxxxxxxx>
format.

This satisfies all the conditions, at the minimal expense of setting
up an email forward for each author/recipient.

If I had easy access to control email setup, I'd do that on my site,
but I don't, so I just send them out with the return address of
whomever sent them.

Course I also throttle it so it can only send 4 emails per day from
one IP, and have a few other measures in place to limit spam abuse.

NOTE:
If the authors aren't typing the actual email, you do NOT want to be
sending it "from" them without their prior explicit review and consent
of the outgoing email.  Authors in particular are very picky about
what words you put in their mouth. :-)

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?