php and mysql date mapping question

Hi all, I am in the process of creating a national events directory where
people can enter their events (car boot sales, evening classes etc) and
specify whether those events are one-ff events or repeating (daily, weekly
etc) affairs and people can search for those events by postcode, date range,
category etc.

I have a table containing all dates between Oct 1 2006 and 2030, including
leap years etc. I am pretty new to relational design so here's my question:

I have an events table and a dates table. As an event can happen on many
dates and a date can hold many events, I created an intermediary table
called dates_events to express that many-to-many relationship. The data
entry works like a dream as does the search.

However, the dates_events table is growing quite large (200,000 mapped
relationships for 300+ test events), but the logic I used seemed clear. When
the system goes live, allowing for a sweeper script that removes outdated
mappings from all three tables, I estimate that this mapping table may grow
to 2-3 million records at least.

Does this sound flawed, and will mysql handle this kind of data volume?
Anyone have any experience building a similar system. I am happy to use this
method for the initial test run but may re-engineer it before we go national
if suggestions lead me that way.

I am unable to release the URL as yet.

--
http://www.web-buddha.co.uk