Re: Re: set cookie with non-english

On Mon, 9 Oct 2006 13:17:37 -0500 (CDT), "Richard Lynch" wrote:

> On Sun, October 8, 2006 12:51 am, Nisse Engström wrote:
>>
>>    The <META> thing might be good for storing pages
>> on disk, but on the web you should use real HTTP
>> headers.
>
> Except IE will *ignore* your HTTP headers.
>
> You need real HTTP headers for real browsers, *and* the META tag for
> IE, if you want your charset to be honored.
>
> IE will use some weird "guess" based on the bytes in the document to
> choose a charset.  It mostly guesses right, except when it doesn't.
>
> For some reason, MSIE thinks HTML designers and META tags are
> absolutely believable, but headers are just silly things that are
> never reliable.  This applies to everything from Content-type to
> charset.

   I knew IE held some animosity towards the HTTP
specification, but I didn't know it paid more respect
to some bobs of META than the corresponding bits of
HTTP. Or maybe I did know but have forgotten.

   No matter. Thanks for the information. By the bye,
are we talking IE in general, or specific versions
thereof?

  --nfe