RE: Re: Understanding persistent connections with oci8

On Wed, October 4, 2006 12:34 pm, Mendonce, Kiran (STSD) wrote:
> I understand the performance boost one can get by reusing existing
> connections. And I did see for myself that with the default settings,
> oci_pconnect() does reuse all the connections.
>
> But what should happen if there are idle connections and the timeout
> is
> reached ? That is my question. What is the purpose of the
> persistent_timeout setting ? Does it give the user a means of
> specifying
> a timeout after which idle connections are removed ?

Yes.

Their claim is that your tests are invalid because your have MULTIPLE
Apache processing swapping the connections around, so they are NOT
idle for 10 seconds.

To prove them wrong, you would need to:
Set up a dev server on a private network with Apache having ONE, and
ONLY ONE, child.
Set the timeout to 10 seconds.
Surf to a test page.
Wait 10 seconds.
See if the connection goes away.

If anybody else on the planet (or off-planet, for that matter,
assuming our astronauts have time to surf to your site) can surf to
the site and keep the connection "alive" by having Apache re-use it,
then it's going to stay alive.

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?