Re: Breaking lines

On Tue, October 3, 2006 5:11 pm, Google Kreme wrote:
> As I understand it then, the .ht* is no less secure because, for all
> intents and purposes, it is 'outside' the webtree since Apache will
> never display it, and you need some other sort of access to the
> machine (ftp, ssh, etc) to access it.  As I understand it, you can't
> even access .ht* files via webDAV.

Until somebody installs a new Apache, and doesn't merge in the correct
.ht* settings.

Or Apache gets started by hand in a panic from a crashed server and
reads the wrong httpd.conf file with no .ht* settings to protect your
include files.

Or somebody takes out the .ht* settings, thinking they are just cruft.

Or the .htaccess file you used to protect your PHP files doesn't get
put into the tarball with:
tar cf tarball.tar *
so when you untar it on the new box to install it, your protection is
*GONE*

Or somebody turns .ht* OFF in httpd.conf to wring out more
performance, but your .ht* access controls are in .htaccess in your
directories.

These are only *some* of the rather obvious ways in which having the
files in the webtree but protected by a configuration to Apache can go
wrong.

And these are *ALL* common mistakes that anybody could make without
too much of a stretch in the imagination of "what could go wrong"

In fact, *MOST* of them are things I have actually seen happen...
[Or, to be more precise, things I was dumb enough to do :-)]

If the files aren't in the webtree, somebody has to write a script of
some kind to expose them -- which is still possible, but you have to
work a little harder at it, with little or no concept of Security, to
do that.  And *that* happens sometimes, but then they usually write
such an appallingly bad script that /etc/passwd and everything else on
the entire machine is exposed, which will probably get caught sooner
than a not-quite-right configured Apache that's working "just fine"

Or somebody could come along and ADD a vhost to expose that directory,
effectively putting it IN the webtree...  But, you'd have to work
pretty hard at being smart enough to do a vhost and dumb enough to
expose your include files like that.

It's up to you; But I believe that the .ht* route is too fraught with
potential common mistakes to undo the security.

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?