Re: Coding Style Question...

At 10:23 AM +0800 10/3/06, Glenn Richmond wrote:
I'll probably
get strong opposition for these comments, but in my opinion, there's
nothing worse than mixing two different lanuages in a single file, not
to mention mixing functional code with layout code.

Glenn.

Glenn:

I agree with the concepts of unobtrusive code and the separation of content, presentation, and behavior. However, I find it very difficult not to mix languages -- for example, trying to generate dynamic html from php/mysql without mixing all three languages is difficult, if not impossible.

Plus, when php can generate html, css, javascript, and content -- it's not possible (by definition) to create language-pure code under those conditions.

Also, sometimes mixing languages is preferable (with regard to readability) than trying to develop a scheme to separate them.

And lastly, what constitutes separation? Is an include(), or date(), or any php function from within a html, or css, file acceptable? If not, what's the cost in readability or lines of additional code to obtain the same functionality?

I don't know about others, but the language line is blurred for me. I still believe in the "concepts" separation of content, presentation, and behavior, but php transcends the other languages in a different manner and provides the "glue" to hold them together and make them a cohesive functional solution. In my mind, the "concept of separation" does not fall clearly along language boundaries.

While this is not meant to demean php, I see php not only as a "stand-alone" language, but as an addition to html, css, and javascript, which can enhance their functionality. Clearly each of those languages can do more with php than without it.

That's my perspective.

tedd

--
-------