Re: strange errors from command line vs. web

Ok, I've set up a username and password using Grant All Privileges, blah.
with username and password.  For some reason though the web now can't login
with that.  I then changed the root db password and put that in the config
and the web side does run properly with that username, password.  I still
can't run the script from the command line even when I su to root.  I am in
a virtual hosting situation so not sure if that's it.  Does it not know what
to do with localhost in a virtual hosting situation when running it from the
command line but does from the web?  I'm trying to print the error but it
just seems to die:

echo "about to connect";
$this->connectionID= @mysql_connect($this->host, $this->user,
$this->password);
echo "after connect";

From the command line, it never prints the after connect...just seems to die
without error...or at least no error to the screen and I do have a check
right after to kick off the mysql error if there is no connection ID but
again, I am su'ing to root so I thought it would always have rights.  Not
really sure what to do next.

Thanks!

On 9/27/06, Richard Lynch <ceo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Wed, September 27, 2006 11:36 am, blackwater dev wrote:
> I have some code that makes a connection to the db.  When I run this
> code
> from the command line, it stops at the db connection.

Show us the code, without any embedded passwords, of course...

> If I call the
> script
> from the browser, it works fine.

This almost always boils down to:
PHP runs as "nobody" or a similarly unpowered user
You log in as you, blackwaterdev or whatever, with many powers.

In this case, it looks like 'nobody' has their own database, and is
allowed to connect to it, but you are not.

> I've changed the permissions and
> that
> didn't work.

Changed which permissions?

mysql_admin?
If so, did you reload the permissions after change?

File executable?

What?

> The db connection is the basic, localhost, root, with no
> password.

Now that is an entirely separate problem.

DON'T DO THAT!

:-)

> What else can I try?

You're going to have to create a user and set a password anyway, so do
that first.

There's no point in getting localhost/root/[blank] to work when it's
not what you want anyway.

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm