Re: Re: Various errors being generated from an apache/php combo

On Wed, September 27, 2006 10:25 am, Jochem Maas wrote:
>> Just to add more confusion, the errors are intermittent - sometimes
>> it works
>> fine, other times we get these errors which makes it even more
>> difficult to
>> pinpoint.

If you're using that autoload thingie, and the objects being loaded in
are complex and inter-twined enough, and if your include_once files
are loaded in some non-predictable ordering, you can easily make a
right mess of things real fast, and end up in this position...

This usually indicates (to this naive reader) that what's really going
on is that the developers don't really understand what functionality
is in what, the architect hasn't laid things out cleanly, and there's
a lot of copy&paste code floating around that works more by Voodoo
Programming than by Design.

Don't do that. :-)

I'm not claiming that this IS the situation here -- only that it's one
possible diagnosis of this symptom.

I'd have to read, or, more accurately, attempt to read and give up in
frustration, the source code to know for sure.

If you can't sit down and map out what PHP files get loaded when
throughout the course of your application, you don't have a chance of
understanding what's actually happing *IN* those files, do you?

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm