Re: +AFs-OT+AF0- Working with version control

Chris W. Parker wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This is off topic but I wanted to get the list member's opinions on the
> subject as it will probably benefit someone else.
>
> Currently I don't use version control at all. What I do instead is have
> one directory that contains my development website and one directory
> that contains the live website which I do not directly modify. When I
> need to fix something or add a new feature I edit the development site
> and copy the files that I've changed.
>
> Sometimes I will start on a new feature before I am able to finish a
> previous one. This is a major problem when the features overlap and I
> have to edit the same file for both features. Even if I finish one of
> the features I cannot publish the files because the other feature is not
> ready yet.
>
> What I'm looking to the list for is how I can overcome this through
> version control.
>
> What I'm thinking I'd do is create a base level (say v1.0) that I then
> create a branch for every new feature and then merge those things
> together. The issue I see in this case is the merging.
>
> Is this a sound strategy or should I just realize that I can't publish
> until all current features enhancements are completed?
>

> Thanks,
> Chris.

What you are currently doing would be similar if you were using source
control, only you would have the ability to revert to previous
functions, and have better logging for changes to your files....  So, I
would advocate using some source control, like subversion to make life a
little more orderly.

As for your problem... of course it is always +ACo-ideal+ACo- to complete one
branch/feature before you start a new branch/feature, but often times we
do not live in +ACo-ideal+ACo- worlds, so merging becomes a necessary evil.
source control / configuration management will not really solve this
problem, but it will provide better tools to attack the problem.

So, I would sit down and google for the Subversion Red Book and read
through some of that to get your started.
As I said before you will find some of the method similar to what you
are currently doing, it will just document your journey a little better.
-B