+AFs-OT+AF0- Working with version control

Hello,

This is off topic but I wanted to get the list member's opinions on the
subject as it will probably benefit someone else.

Currently I don't use version control at all. What I do instead is have
one directory that contains my development website and one directory
that contains the live website which I do not directly modify. When I
need to fix something or add a new feature I edit the development site
and copy the files that I've changed.

Sometimes I will start on a new feature before I am able to finish a
previous one. This is a major problem when the features overlap and I
have to edit the same file for both features. Even if I finish one of
the features I cannot publish the files because the other feature is not
ready yet.

What I'm looking to the list for is how I can overcome this through
version control.

What I'm thinking I'd do is create a base level (say v1.0) that I then
create a branch for every new feature and then merge those things
together. The issue I see in this case is the merging.

Is this a sound strategy or should I just realize that I can't publish
until all current features enhancements are completed?

Thanks,
Chris.