Re: php/css and .htaccess [SOLVED]

On 9/21/06, tedd <tedd@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

At 10:37 AM -0500 9/21/06, David Giragosian wrote:
>On 9/21/06, tedd <<mailto:tedd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>tedd@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>-snip-
>
>Now, this header coupled with the above .htaccess allows php code to
>be embedded within a css file AND work for all popular browsers,
>including FireFox/Mozillia.
>-snip-
>
>tedd,
>
>So with this approach you're able to tailor css styles for specific
>browsers and their particular implementations of css, rather than
>employ hacks directly in the css??

David:

Yes, plus much more. This is similar to getting php/html to play nice
together.

What I've discovered here (if no one has considered this before,
which I would think is highly doubtful) is a way to embed php code
within css (like html) to do anything you want.

You see, my chief complaint with css over the years has been its lack
of variables. Many in the css camp say that the lack of variables is
a feature and not a drawback -- and I understand them not wanting the
unclean masses to contaminate their pure language. But, not knowing
any better, I've always wanted to use variables in css.

A few years back, I published my limited version of how to use
variables in css:

http://www.sperling.com/examples/pcss/

But for most, it was too problematic to implement and had limited scope.

However, what I've discovered here is that by adding the proper
.htaccess file and the addition of a header in the css file, you can
do anything you want from within a css file -- which includes adding
variables, adding "includes", performing computations, browser
sniffing, and I think anything else you can do in php. The extent
could be as unlimited as php/html -- I don't know the full extent.

As far as I'm concerned, this is a significant discovery for me --
I'm always trying to get different languages to work together.
However, to others, perhaps this technique has been obvious or too
trivial to mention. I don't know, but I haven't found any references
that address this technique.

To the gang -- is this something new, or am I getting excited over
nothing?

In any event, I'll be adding "how to do it" to my web site so I can
lead others astray.  :-)

Thanks.

tedd

--